Monday, June 10, 2013

Citygroovin' back in the days

At the age of 5 or 6 I used to listen to classical music from the Hooked on Classics series my aunt had brought to my parents (don't stare, it had beat on the background). Later on I listened to a lot of pop, disco and soul -but at that age I could only recognize pop as a standard kind of music. Then I had a (psychedelic) rock period in my life, where the Doors would capture all my essence and afterwards I dived into the rave era, where "Far Out" and "Liquid is Liquid" were my morning hymns -or was it the other way around? oh well...

Having a quite messed up music background at the age of 20, I surprisingly was able to identify with a kind of music that would suit me at the time like my favorite pair of all stars: french house. I couldn’t point it out then, but it was a music that combined the disco feeling I liked as a child and the beat that would always follow me when I would shutdown everything and push the play button, so the attraction was kind of inevitable. The place to host and enhance my love for french house was a small club (nothing fancy or luxurious) in the centre of Athens: City Groove.

I remember I used to constantly smile from Wednesday, if I was going to attend a party on Friday or Saturday and I always-always-always had a great time celebrating the affair of disco with house music and enjoying people’s smiles all over the place. The place shut down somewhere in the beginning of the ‘00s (2002 I think) and we all took our own separate ways tryin' to keep our smile where it was.

A couple of years ago, Christo K, Anthony K. and George Siras (the triad holding along with the guest djs the responsibility for our happy weekends back then) had a reunion on New Year’s Eve. I decided to give it a shot. Most of the City Groove’s people were there along with the decade they carried on their back and some grey hair that would carefully hide the grooving child inside them. Despite the grey hair, the economic problems, the age and the personal situations that everyone may had, the feeling was there. It was not the same, but it was right there. So was the music.


 




This is what we were listening as we were saying our goodbyes to the ‘90s. Ok, wipe the tears from your eyes, you ‘re all grown up now!

tracks' info: 
-DJ Tonka - Feel 
Feel 
Reform 1995

-D-Monsta - Make some noize
Episode Records 2000

-Phunkie Souls - Tha music
Strictly Rhythm 1999

-Madji'k -Midnight trap
VOX 2000

-Paul Jacobs - Happy days
Aquarius Recordings 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...